First Baptist School of Charleston has a rich history dating back to its founding in 1949. The school has grown over the years, maintaining a strong commitment to academic excellence and Christian values.
A MISSION OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF CHARLESTON
An Educational Mission with a Christian Perspective
The history of Charleston reveals that First Baptist Church has had an impact on education dating back prior to the Revolutionary War. William Mason first conducted a school on the property in 1757. A religious educational society was established at First Baptist Church in 1775 and from this society, the movement of the Southern Baptist Convention began.
The end of World War II found Charleston County Schools in crisis. The overcrowding of public school classrooms and the increasing rate of juvenile delinquency indicated a need for a local school with a Christian emphasis. Dr. John A. Hamrick, pastor of First Baptist Church and the Board of Deacons realized that the church had a responsibility to provide the youth of the Charleston area with the opportunity to attend a school that encouraged quality academics with a Christian emphasis. In addition to the academic curriculum, students were to be taught the highest Christian ideals as set forth in the Bible, by teachers whose lives reflected these ideals in example as well as precept.
First Baptist Church School opened on September 12, 1949, with four faculty members and 39 students. Dr. John A. Hamrick served as superintendent and Mrs. L. H. Benedict served as principal.
Important Dates in the History of FBS
First Baptist Church School was established through the recommendation of Dr. John A.
Hamrick, pastor, and with a unanimous vote by the Board of Deacons
Parent Teacher Association formed
Permission secured from the City of Charleston to use the East Bay Playground for recreational classes
School Board was formed, composed of members of the church with children in the school
First Music Recital presented
Classes held at Citadel Square Baptist Church due to remodeling
Mrs. O. J. Brodie is hired as principal
Established the operation of a lunch room on a daily basis
Student Band was formed and led by local musician Patrick Leonard
Received full accreditation by SC Board of Education
Student Government was organized
National Honor Society chapter was formed
Chemistry lab established
Betty Spoon skipped senior year to enroll at Mars Hill College
First graduating class/All students entered and graduated college
Interscholastic sports program established
Dr. W. Arthur Earp is hired as principal
The first SACS accreditation under Dr. Earp
Dr. Edward Droge named Head of School
Mr. Tommy Mullins named Head of School
Adopted new mission statement: “Academic Excellence with a Christian Perspective”
First SAIS/SACS Accreditation under Mr. Mullins
Market Street property sold, construction of new athletic facility on Dill Property
on James Island
The 24 Water Street building is severely damaged as the result of a fire
Renovation of Hamrick Hall (24 Water Street) completed
Athletic and Fine Arts Complex completed on James Island Property
Mr. Jeremy Blackstock named Head of School
High School campus relocated to the new facility on the James Island Campus
Demolition of the Kindergarten and Elementary buildings on the Downtown Campus
Renovation of the Carriage House for the new K3 and K4 classrooms
Dr. Justin Mitchell named Head of School
Newly constructed academic buildings open on the Downtown Campus